Friday 7 September 2012

EV range - doesn't suit me yet

Westminster and car manufacturers continue to push the line that all-electric vehicle is cost-competitive alongside its petrol or diesel counterpart.

we think they are pushing their luck with this

The pros of electric vehicle (EV) ownership are still outweighed by the cons.
because a high-mileage EV doesn't exist. That's because the batteries will run out of juice in an hour or two – less if it's driven at high speed. I have to drive to Felixstowe on Tuesday, I couldn't have done that in any of the crop of the current EV's and even if I did? where do I charge it to get back?

I dont do a run that far every day, but I need to be able to do it...

It is this combination of one- to two-hour periods on the road then six to eight hours off  (I was only on site for the survey for 3 hours and it was a EH site with no charging facility) it while being recharged that makes electric cars unsuited to anything other than pottering around for a fraction of the day.

Admittedly, this is fine if you never need to drive more than 30 miles outside your neighbourhood. But which car do you choose?

If you shop once a week at tesco, EV is fine for you. I am still waiting for a practical vehicle I can use!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment